Ternopil Castle
Each city is some of his associations. For example, when talking about the Lions in the mind arises Market Square with the Town Hall, in a conversation about Chernivtsi mentioned university, and of Ternopol - began. Few says that his bank is lock. However, the former fortress remained except a small palace.
History Ternopil Castle
Back in 1540, King Sigismund grants of land by the river Siret Hetman Jan Tarnowska. Soon the valley Tarnowski ordered to build a dam. Seret began to flood, creating a pond, now known as Ternopil.
In the same year near the pond begins construction Ternopil castle. The function of the fortress was to stop Tatar raids from Terebovlia to Busk. Construction lasted eight years.
On the south side of the river and protect the fortress began, and on the other side was vast and dug deep ditches. Get to the castle could tipper across cities.
In connection with the construction of such large-scale facilities exempt from city taxes. But two decades began to rebuild the castle. This took Tarnowska son - Christopher. Also a great number of money and effort invested in the reconstruction of the fortress Tomasz Zamoyski, who got the city as dowry from his wife Catherine - the daughter of Prince Constantine Ostrog.
The greatest destruction Ternopil Castle suffered in 1675. Turks thwarted defensive towers erased from the earth fortifications, dried began.
When the city passed into the hands Sobieski, the castle was rebuilt to its original appearance, as he stood by the end of the 18th century. And in the early 19th century ruler of the city Korytovskyy Francis decides to rebuild the castle into a palace.
From 1810 to 1815 years Ternopil was ruled by the Russian Empire. The Palace casino opened, held noisy points. But from 1843 the palace was reconstructed in the barracks who were there until 1939.
20th century was not very favorable to the palace. During the First World War, he was burning. But the biggest shock he suffered in spring 1944. There housed Nazi troops. Red Army soldiers blew up the buildings around the palace.
After the war, in 1957, the castle gradually rebuilt and placed in his room sports school.
Ternopil Castle today
Now here is the sports school. In 2009 the townspeople raised the issue of accommodation in the Palace Museum of the History of discovery and rooms for delegations. And in April 2015 was the start to create a museum in the former castle dungeons.
How to get to the castle in Ternopil
Get to Ternopil very easy, because in cross important railway and roads. And the castle is near the center of Castle Street, 12.